[Coco] Backing up a HD to an SD

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jun 13 12:39:27 EDT 2015

On Saturday 13 June 2015 02:16:12 Barry Nelson wrote:
> There are two options that has not been tested and a third one that I
> have used but may or may not work in any given case.
>
> 1) (Not tested) Boot a floppy disk with OS9 and drivers for both hard
> disks, then try this: MERGE /OD@ >- /ND@
> That SHOULD do a raw sector dump of the contents of OD onto ND. Of
> course ND must be greater than or equal in size to OD. 2) (Not tested,
> requires programing) Try to get both hard disks recognized at the same
> time under HDBDOS or RGBDOS and modify a program I wrote called HDBACK
> which currently copies one HD floppy partition at a time from one hard
> drive to another or to physical floppy to instead keep going and copy
> all floppy partitions on one hard disk to another. 3) (Tested? well,
> not really, it worked once, for me) Hook both hard drives up to a PC
> running Linux and use the dd command to do a raw sector dump from one
> disk to another. This is what I did last time this issue came up. In
> my case the new "hard disk" was a vhd image file usable by the MESS
> emulator and DriveWire.
>
> Tell your friend I wish him luck. He'll need it.

The last time I did it, I used dsave from the os9 partition on scsi drive
0 to the whole drive, formatted as os9, but other than cluster size, an
identical 1Gbyte seagate barracuda as drive 1.  It took a while, but no
errors.  The 490 meg partition's cluster size is 4, the whole drives
cluster size is 16.  That was not a problem.  I did it in 2 steps
though, first generating the script on trhe root of drive0, and then
executing the script.  On my system, that seems to be faster overall
than forking a new shell to execute each line of the dsave output. YMMV
of course.

> On Jun 13, 2015, at 1:18 AM, coco-request at maltedmedia.com wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 18:31:09 -0700
> > From: "Stephen H. Fischer" <SFischer1 at Mindspring.com>