[Coco] Benchtop Power Supply Recomendations Requested

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Tue Jun 2 23:19:22 EDT 2015

Despite the recommendation of Mike on using an ATX power supply, I would
avoid that - mainly because it won't have current limiting. You want
current limiting, and ideally voltage regulation. You want to be able to
dial in the current needed, at the voltage you want - and have it only
supply that much current (and switch off the power if it is exceeded) at
a steady voltage (regardless of the current draw below your set point).

An ATX power supply won't have this. You can add it - but it isn't easy
if you don't understand power supply design.

I don't know about it's quality or anything, but this supply seems like
it might be decent:

http://www.amazon.com/TekPower-TP3003E-Adjustable-Switching-Digital/dp/B00PWMA4WA/

If you want some more options, just google "adjustable power supply" -
look for a supply that can give you your voltage range (and a little
more can't hurt), and output 2-5 amps (once the amperage level goes
beyond that amount, prices start to get crazy). Look for the ability to
adjust the output (voltage and current) - both "coarse" and "fine".

I should note that you might want to get more than one supply - or buy a
dual output supply; they can be useful for certain circuits, depending
on what you are doing.

Good luck!

--
Andrew L. Ayers