[Coco] OT: Windows 7 folder disappeared???

Rob Rosenbrock bester at adamswells.com
Sat Jul 11 11:48:31 EDT 2015

I don’t have any experience with Libre Office, but it sounds like you might have encountered Windows 7’s hard link feature.

As you know, Windows XP stores user profiles under C:\Documents and Settings, and Windows 7 stores them under C:\Users. What isn’t obvious is that the old Documents and Settings folder is still present under Windows 7. They aren’t visible in Explorer, but you can navigate to them by typing the path name into the address bar. (You may need to include the user name in the path)

They aren’t the same folders - they aren’t aliases. Documents and Settings contain hard links to the new folder structure so that any access will be redirected to the new folder. This makes it easier to upgrade to Windows 7 from an older OS by automatically storing the files in the correct locations.

I suspect that Libre Office created a folder in the old Documents and Settings folder that just isn’t linked into the new Users folder. You should be able to move that folder over to the correct Users profile and then change Libre’s preferences to point to the correct location.