[Coco] Cross Post from the Facebook Page about the RGB2VGA Board

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jul 11 00:06:42 EDT 2015

On Friday 10 July 2015 23:32:30 Zippster wrote:
> What kind is it Gene?  Isopropyl closer to 100% or some other alcohol?
> I might have to check that out depending on cost.
>
> - Ed
>
> > On Jul 10, 2015, at 10:24 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Even better is the alcohol sold at paint stores.

I think its wood alcohol, denatured IOW.  I use it sparingly, as well as
acetone from the same sources, by stopping at the pharmacy and getting a
1000 pack of Sherwood medical's 6" stick q-tips & use those for the
scrubbing, once, toss.  Never put the used q-tip back into the container
as that will in time contaminate it.  Last box I bought was about a
tenner, but quite a bit of water has gone down the river since then.  At
the tv station, a box or more a year, but I'm not doing near as much of
that now that I'm retired & turning into an achey old fart.

Acetone does a much better job of cleaning off burned rosin from the
repairs.  Then, if you think its worth the effort, I have been known to
reseal the board with a varnish like prep that GC sold years ago, but
haven't been able to find a fresh spray can of it in 20 years.  EPA side
effect probably.  But it will keep a solder joint looking nice & shiney
for 10+ years too.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)