[Coco] [coco] USB to RS232 adapter

Mathew Boytim maboytim at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 7 20:22:06 EDT 2015

Hi George,

I was going to mention that I had heard that FTDI did something to their driver so it wouldn't work with non-authentic chips.  I didn't know if it was actually true so I decided not to mention, but looking on ebay I found a used one where the seller said it uses a non-authentic chip and the FTDI driver doesn't work - you have to find a driver that works with the non-authentic chip.  So I'd be leery of the FTDI adapters from China.

In my own work I use the standard CDC virtual com class that uses Microsoft driver and it of course works well.  However there are some caveats if you want more than one virtual com in your device (composite USB device) and FTDI has chips with 2 or 4 virtual coms as well as other capabilities so I understand why they don't want to use the standard CDC class driver.  But if you would happen across one that does use the 'builtin driver to Windows' I would expect it to work well too.

Also, I haven't had any problems with the Prolific driver in Linux, just Windows.

Matt