[Coco] 35 track or 40 track floppy drives

George Ramsower georgera at gvtc.com
Sun Jul 5 12:47:24 EDT 2015

  A long time ago, far, far away I did have one of those "Tandy" 35TSS
drives. It just simply would not move the head far enough to get more
than just short of 40 tracks. That was a long time ago and I don't
remember how many tracks I could squeeze out of it. If memory serves me
correctly, I THINK I filed on the limit stop to get that extra track or
two I needed......but I'm not real certain on this. It just "sort of"
seems that I had to do that. I do remember the spindle was belt driven
with the strobe type wheel and a small pot to adj the speed.
  Darn that seems like... ugh.... a long time ago now. Heck, it could
have been a 40 track drive that I tried to increase to a few more
tracks. I just don't remember now.

  It seems Tandy was dumping some old drives they got cheap and just set
the system up to handle them in those early days. I'm guessing on this!!
So don't beat me up if I'm WAY off about it.

George R