[Coco] NitrOS-9 beginner

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Fri Jul 3 13:52:27 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Hermanek"
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 9:47 AM
Subject: [Coco] NitrOS-9 beginner

>I still have not had the time to learn how to even boot OS-9.

You boot in to OS-9 by typing DOS with an OS-9 bootable disk in drive 0.

> Posts here indicate that at this point in the game, it would be better to
> use NitrOS-9 instead of some kind of vintage OS-9 L2 disks.

NitrOS-9 is faster, smoother, more reliable and actively supported by some
very talented programmers. But there is nothing stopping you from learning
on stock OS-9 level 2 with the Complete Rainbow Guide as your guide and then
switching over to NitrOS-9. There are only minor difference in some of the
command options between OS-9 and NitrOS-9 so honestly you could use the
Rainbow Guide with NitrOS-9 and 99.9% of everything is going to be the same.

> I have the "Complete Rainbow Guide to OS-9 Level II" sitting here and I
> have an idea of stepping through the books nice and slow and perhaps
> learning something.
>
> That being said:  I am confused by how/where to get "standard" or
> "un-customized" disk images.  Also, I find there are 40 track disks, but I
> do not have a 40-track capable system.

Are you sure your 35 track disk is not 40 track compatable? I never had an
issue running my single-sided 35 track disk system with 40 track disks.

The freshest builds are always available at:

http://nitros9.sourceforge.net/latest/

I usually use the images called

nos96809l2v030300coco3_40d_1.dsk

and

nos96809l2v030300coco3_40d_2.dsk

> So:  Assuming I have the rainbow guide in my hand, a 512K coco 3 with a
> single 35 track drive, and a free hour on the weekend, how should I
> proceed?  Does someone keep "reference" .DSK image(s) for OS-9?  If so,
> and again assuming they are 35 track, I could take .DSK files, and get
> them restored onto real floppies via HDB-DOS and drivewire with little
> trouble.  I guess I just don't know which .DSK image to start with...
>
> Thanks
> -RobertH

Is your lone drive a single or double sided drive? With that information we
can help you select the best disk image for your system, or make you one
that suits your system.