[Coco] 'arc' copy command and Stack Overflow (ERROR #207)

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Jan 27 07:31:34 EST 2015

I don't know why that particular version of tmode was used in the repo, but tmode with that syntax has existed since before the repo existed. Boisy may have changed the repo version, but he modeled it after another version which had been on delphi since the late 80s at least.
The reason I say this, is that I have the very same tmode on OS9 floppy disks of cmds downloaded from Delphi dated back to 1988 or 1989 containing tmode with the exact same sytax as the one currently on the repo disks.

Ultimuse3 shell's out to tmode to turn echo on and off. In 1988 or 1989, I had to make sure that I had the Tandy/MW version of tmode on any disk I was using for Ultimuse3 and UBox3 or it would show errors everytime tmode was called.
I remember having to go back to my master disks and getting the old tmode just for that purpose.
And I never owned NitrOS9 or had any of it's contents until it was released to open source.
So this was actually a problem long before Boisy changed it in the repo.

One of the first things I did after finally being able to compile the Ultimuse3 sources was to add in a built in tmode so that the problem no longer existed in that software It took all of 12 lines of code to do the getstat/setstat calls for echo or pause. My new release of Ultimuse3 no longer requires any form of tmode just for that very reason.

Personally, I like the newer tmode as it's less typing. It just breaks compatability with programs that 'assume' every user is going to have a certain cmd version in their CMDS folder. I hate software that does this. If you are going to use external cmds, then include them. Don't expect me to conform to your habits.
In writing MShell, there are NO external cmds required as ALL modules needed for the software are included either in the code or as external modules custom designed for MShell.
Mshell can be installed to a cmds dir containing nothing but grfdrv and shell (both being required by the system) and it will run.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com