[Coco] Cobbler and ERROR 244 on CoCoSDC

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Jan 23 22:14:50 EST 2015

> On Jan 23, 2015, at 7:23 PM, Bill Pierce via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> Alle, cobbler will not "cobble" a hard drive properly that I know of.

SUCCESS. By manually copying the kernel to sectors of the new .DSK image, and manually setting the DAM bits to make sure those sectors are flagged as used, all I had to do was have os9boot properly pointed to in LSN0 and copy over cmds, etc. and it boots just fine.

(This is EXACTLY the type of stuff Nick is talking about with OS-9 being such a mess. However, if I just ran the pre-built images, that was as easy as typing "DOS" and being done.)

Now that I understand it, I want to look at cobbler and such and see what they are doing. I should have just been able to:

dmode /sd1 cyl=ffff sid=8 sct=1 t0s=1
format /sd1
cobbler /sd1
...then dsave /sd1 ! shell

Done. (This assumes the /sd1 .dsk image was created and expanded ahead of time to 128MB, using a BASIC program Darren sent me.)

I will be starting over and testing this. I need to make my BASIC09 program do a few more things, then it's basically a "cobbler."

Funny. Back in the 80s, I never understood how simple "os9boot" and the "boot track" were. It was much later when I realized how they worked.

		- A