[Coco] Cobbler and ERROR 244 on CoCoSDC

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Jan 23 21:18:25 EST 2015

> On Jan 23, 2015, at 7:59 PM, Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:
>
> To be precise, cobbler will check the contents of track34 and if it is other than a kernel, cobbler will error out. If track34 is free or is a kernel, cobbler will proceed and mark those sectors as used in the DAM.

I've been reading things you wrote in 68 micros lately -- I need to dig all mine out and go through them. So many useful articles -- even one I wrote about OS-9 pipes I forgot about. Chet Simpson has one showing how to play multiple samples in the background on the CC3. Gotta find time.

That said ... the sides confusion would make sense, and changing my descriptor did not matter since it is reading LSN0 to get the disk geometry (yes?).

But, if I had a tool that manually went out to sector $264 and wrote it, and marked it used, maybe that would work. Maybe I can use dEd to try...

> Also there is no reason why cobbler could not be made to work with a hard drive. The current problem is that cobbler was written for one or two sided disks. Hard drives such as the .vhd used with emulators have $40 "sides" which would cause problems with cobbler "finding" a T34.
> For several reasons, it probably is better not to make a hard drive bootable if one can boot from the equivalent of a 'floppy' on .vhd drive or an SDC pak. You won't need to worry about fragmentation with /DD set to the hard drive.

Alas, right now we don't have any CoCoSDC tools for switching disks from OS-9 (they have to be updated) so there's no way to swap once booted. Since I am in the phase of copying images to new images, I can't use both my drive slots for a boot and empty HD image.

		-- A