[Coco] Cobbler and ERROR 244 on CoCoSDC

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Fri Jan 23 20:59:08 EST 2015

Allen Huffman wrote:

> Hmmm. Track 34 must be free, so does cobbler mark it used in the DAM? If the descriptor is set to look like a 35 track floppy drive, it must still use LSN0 to know where the DAM, etc. are.
>
> I will play with that, and then document it.
>
> 		-- Allen

To be precise, cobbler will check the contents of track34 and if it is other
than a kernel, cobbler will error out. If track34 is free or is a kernel,
cobbler will proceed and mark those sectors as used in the DAM.

Also there is no reason why cobbler could not be made to work with a hard drive.
The current problem is that cobbler was written for one or two sided disks. Hard
drives such as the .vhd used with emulators have $40 "sides" which would cause
problems with cobbler "finding" a T34.
For several reasons, it probably is better not to make a hard drive bootable if
one can boot from the equivalent of a 'floppy' on .vhd drive or an SDC pak. You
won't need to worry about fragmentation with /DD set to the hard drive.

Robert