[Coco] Degauss an old CM-8

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 05:26:24 EST 2015

On Thu Jan 22 2015, Allen Huffman wrote:

My CM-8 needs to be degaussed. I read online that you can do it using a
> soldering gun (generates magnetic fields), power brick, or large magnet. I
> used to do that when I was a kid to fix TVs that got too close to speakers
> but always felt like I was doing damage. When I worked at Radio Shack, I
> used a bulk tape eraser.
>
> Any suggestions on what I might want to try on this old monitor?

As Robert noted, use a de-gaussing coil - don't dare with a magnet, some
daredevils used to get away with it back in the day but the chances of
actually imprinting a bigger magnetic field on the CRT screen mesh are far
too great. to ignore.

A heavy duty magnetic tape eraser can be used as an alternative to a
de-gaussing coil, the CM-8 CRT is on the small size side so a smaller coil
would be enough.

Don't power up nor down the coils near the CRT screen - leaves a magnetized
imprint, start from scratch to de-gauss.

-- RP