[Coco] Degauss an old CM-8

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Jan 22 21:43:48 EST 2015

Allen Huffman wrote:
> My CM-8 needs to be degaussed. I read online that you can do it using a soldering gun (generates magnetic fields), power brick, or large magnet. I used to do that when I was a kid to fix TVs that got too close to speakers but always felt like I was doing damage. When I worked at Radio Shack, I used a bulk tape eraser.
>
> Any suggestions on what I might want to try on this old monitor?
>
> 		-- Allen

You may get lucky and find a degaussing coil at an electronic parts place. I had
such a coil with a Heathkit TV. It was a wire wound loop of about a 2ft
diameter. They can be powered with a variac.
You don't want something that creates a small magnetic spot.

You are supposed to have the coil parallel to the picture tube, moving it around
until the picture seems free of 'hot spots', move the coil away from the set,
and finally turning it perpendicular to the screen. That prevents the degaussing
coil from leaving its own magnetic impression on the tube.
Don't ever put a live degaussing coil near the magnets at the back end of the
picture tube. :)

Robert