[Coco] Worst game ever...

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Thu Jan 22 23:32:22 EST 2015

It's not an exaggeration to say that the Atari 8-bit version (by Philip
Price) is a showcase for the platform and more or less legendary on it.
None of the other ports ever really came close to the original and even the
16-bit versions failed to replicate some of the same types of
effects/experience for various reasons. It's certainly not always the case
that the original is best, but in this case, it's absolutely true.

While the planned six part series was never finished (or even started),
there was one sequel, Alternate Reality: The Dungeon. Price put special
hooks in the Atari 8-bit version to allow players to move seamlessly back
and forth between future games. The ports by other programmers never
implemented that feature, which is probably one of the many reasons why we
never got additional entries in the series beyond the second game.

In any case, I'm curious how the CoCo version performs. It's interesting
that Datasoft never officially released it/Tandy wasn't interested in
publishing it, but the 1987 date may be all the explanation we need since
the company itself would be gone soon thereafter.

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.
<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books
<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1> and