[Coco] Building NitrOS-9 on Mac OS X

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Thu Jan 22 08:02:20 EST 2015

> On Jan 22, 2015, at 12:14 AM, Steve Ostrom <smostrom7 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Allen.  So if I want to someday try NitrOs9, I should stay away from nightly builds, and just use the last fully released version?  And this is for a real Coco3, and not an emulator running on Linux or Windows?

I have been away for ten years so I have no idea what the stability of the last 3.3.0 release was, so I really can't say.

The builds today make .dsk images, and I was able to download, make, and then load the CoCo OS-9 Level 1 disk image in the Xroar emulator and play with it with ease. I also copied the CoCo 3 Level 2 image over to an SD card and ran it on my real CoCo 3 from the CoCoSDC interface.

It's not just OS-9 (note to Nick Matentes). It's builds for the Sierra games (including many that were never released for the CoCo 3 but have been ported over), compiler tools, Deskmate, Multi-Vue, an OS-9 port of the adventure game Raaka-Tu, and tons of other things. OS-9 is just a small bit of what all is in the NitrOS-9/toolshed/etc.

There is even source code to Color BASIC, Extended BASIC, Disk BASIC and Super BASIC, as well as HDB-DOS. I'm fascinated by all the OS-9 and RS-DOS stuff that is available these days.

		-- A