[Coco] Building NitrOS-9 on Mac OS X

Steve Ostrom smostrom7 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 22 01:14:00 EST 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: Allen Huffman
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 11:51 PM
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [Coco] Building NitrOS-9 on Mac OS X

> On Jan 21, 2015, at 11:35 PM, Steve Ostrom <smostrom7 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> I'm not an OS-9 user (maybe someday), but what is meant by "current
> nightly build"?  Does someone from this list actively rebuild NitrOS9 so
> that each day the files are different from the previous day?  What would
> be the reason for this?  Wouldn't that be like Art reissuing ADOS every
> day with a few changes?  I'm not putting this down, just trying to
> understand what is happening behind the scenes.  Why does NitrOS9 need to
> be rebuilt so often?

For software projects where there are multiple people contributing, they
will have all the sources available for development. Folks will work on bits
and pieces and others will download and test and give feedback. These
nightly builds can be dangerous, since you never know what you're going to
get. At some point, a decision will be made to release it and it will be
given a version number. It seems that the OS-9 project has gone years
sometimes without an official release, but there have always been updates
going into the nightly builds.

In my case, in order to get some of the new support, I have to get the
nightly build. The release version is too old to have them. Thus, why some
of us are experiencing problems. Think of it like beta.

Thanks, Allen.  So if I want to someday try NitrOs9, I should stay away from
nightly builds, and just use the last fully released version?  And this is
for a real Coco3, and not an emulator running on Linux or Windows?

--- Steve ---