[Coco] Building NitrOS-9 on Mac OS X

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Thu Jan 22 00:51:35 EST 2015

> On Jan 21, 2015, at 11:35 PM, Steve Ostrom <smostrom7 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> I'm not an OS-9 user (maybe someday), but what is meant by "current nightly build"?  Does someone from this list actively rebuild NitrOS9 so that each day the files are different from the previous day?  What would be the reason for this?  Wouldn't that be like Art reissuing ADOS every day with a few changes?  I'm not putting this down, just trying to understand what is happening behind the scenes.  Why does NitrOS9 need to be rebuilt so often?

For software projects where there are multiple people contributing, they will have all the sources available for development. Folks will work on bits and pieces and others will download and test and give feedback. These nightly builds can be dangerous, since you never know what you're going to get. At some point, a decision will be made to release it and it will be given a version number. It seems that the OS-9 project has gone years sometimes without an official release, but there have always been updates going into the nightly builds.

In my case, in order to get some of the new support, I have to get the nightly build. The release version is too old to have them. Thus, why some of us are experiencing problems. Think of it like beta.