[Coco] Digital RX 180 AD floppy drives

mike at borncoco.com mike at borncoco.com
Sun Jan 18 16:18:48 EST 2015

I recently acquired an old Digital (DEC) RX 180 AD Floppy drive unit. It contains two 5.25" Floppy Drives (TEAC). I have a cable that connects to the floppy controller and the 25 pin "D" connector on the unit. The cable appears correct, omitting the first 5 and the last 4 on the "D" connector. The DIP switches also look like they're set correctly:

DRIVE 0 1,2,5 ON
DRIVE 1 1,3,5 ON

Drive 1 appears to have terminating resistors, but not drive 0. From what I can tell, that looks OK, but I'm not sure. When I connect the unit to a CoCo2 with an FD-501 controller, I can issue DSKINI 0 or DSKINI 1, the drive will spin and I eventually get an I/O error after many seconds. Drive 1 LED will light up a few times and then goes out. Drive 0 light never comes on.

If anyone has experience with this disk drive unit or some documentation, I appreciate your assistance. Thanks!

Cheers,
-Mike Rowen