[Coco] WARNING - Don't read post from Mike Hughes via CoCo

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jan 18 10:08:56 EST 2015

On Sunday 18 January 2015 09:44:42 Dennis Bathory-Kitsz did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Sun, January 18, 2015 2:11 am, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
> > Or don't click on link, it want's to trap you!
>
> Also, please do not respond to this post so that the link appears in
> your reply. Please delete John Musbach's post also, as he reposted the
> link in his reply.
>
> These can be malware -- especially ransomware these days.
>
> They are often joe-jobs, where legitimate list members' addresses are
> scooped up from elsewhere, or a hijacked account. They are often sent
> to multiple addresses.
>
> Subject lines tend to be blank or "hi there" or something simple,
> sometimes no body or a body with a "check this out" or "thought you
> would like this" followed by a link.
>
> These can't be filtered, so delete them.
>
> AND, if you're sending to the list, please include more than a link!
>
> Thanks,
> Dennis

Are you using qmail Dennis?  Thats a linux app. It should be possible to
reject that IP addy. I am not the mail server, but my main use mail server
is also qmail, but I use mailfilter as a prelude to fetchmail to pop all
my mail to this machine.  Mailfilter cannot do a kill spec involving a /28
of an address block, but most spammers maintain a full class D, so it has
been helpful for me to "deny" with enough of the IP address specified that
its anchored to the first 3 numbers, therefore denying to whole 256
addresses of a class D allocation.  And I watch its log closely enough
that it has never denied a good address that I have been aware of.  With
mailfilter, the deny means it is deleted from the server before fetchmail
sucks it. It works against Gmail's servers and others too.

You may want to investigate it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)