[Coco] CoCo Altera DE1 interface

Matthew Stock stock at bexkat.com
Sat Jan 17 10:15:06 EST 2015

Kip,

Fortunately, I just meant that where I once was able to focus and get
precision by just putting my eye 1/2" away from the surface I now need to
be 8" away and/or use a loupe to do the same job.  :-)  It makes SMD
harder, but it's actually easier than you might think if you choose
reasonable devices.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The main two advantages of the chip I chose is high density and the ability
to interface with 3.3v logic.  The LS244/245 set are fine, but you would
need 5-6 chips, and you would still only be able to work at 5v.  It all
depends on what problem you want to solve.  I wanted to hook it up safely
to newer microcontrollers and FPGAs, which necessitated at least having
3.3v support.

Like everything else, SMT soldering requires practice.  Also, a nice pair
of tweezers.

Matt