[Coco] Challenge: identifying file type by sector of data

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Tue Jan 13 10:06:47 EST 2015

For my RS-DOS disk recovery tool (which I am writing mostly to recover a few BASIC programs I wrote), I can scan the directory and identify sectors that belong to files, and then have a list of all sectors not accounted for. In my case, I have a bad sector(s) in the middle of the directory so I lost references to however many files that is. (32 bytes per entry? 8 files?).

To help the user, a sector with almost no high bit data (characters <128) could be flagged as potentially text, and they could be shown and the user could put them together.

I wonder: would it also be possible to flag a sector of data and identify it as part of a tokenized BASIC program? I expect scanning the bytes looking for a series that could be a line number, following the offset to see if it's another series, would do it.

Also, for assembly -- might there be tell-tale signs that it's 6809 code? A disassembler basically does this.

Anyone ever done any data identification stuff for RS-DOS?

		-- Allen