[Coco] Reinventing the wheel: DSK images

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Jan 12 11:02:31 EST 2015

On Monday, January 12, 2015 10:02:17 AM Allen Huffman did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Sometimes I write something because it doesn't exist. Sometimes I
> write something because I don't like what i found. Sometimes I write
> things just because it's fun. Keep that in mind...
>
> Now that I have hundreds of RS-DOS .dsk images from my floppies, I
> want to organize the files they contain. I could do this natively on
> the CoCo, or on a Mac/PC/Linux, etc. My idea would be:
>
> Scan through a folder and subfolders looking for .DSK. Create a list
> of all files found on RS-DOS disks with a path like this:
>
> GAMES/COCO2/GAMES1.DSK/SPACE.BIN
> GAMES/COCO2/GAMES1.DSK/LAND.BIN
> GAMES/COCO2/GAMES1.DSK/EGGBEATR.BIN
> GAMES/COCO2/GAMES1.DSK/YAWNMAN.BIN
>
> I would use some tool to generate a CRC/checksum of each file so I
> could match duplicates later. Maybe generating it like a comma
> separated file like:
>
> GAMES/COCO2/GAMES1.DSK/SPACE.BIN,3BF5
> GAMES/COCO2/GAMES1.DSK/LAND.BIN,14FA
>
> I would want to flag disk images that were special -- any disks with
> multiple files that had to be there, or any disk with embedded data
> (like Infocom games). Those would be left alone.
>
> I then would want to present this to the user in a way that let the
> files be extracted or moved/organized, etc. Maybe as files on a PC in
> folders, so new disk images could be easily made.
>
> Does any such massive .DSK management tool like this already exist? I
> may not want to reinvent this wheel.
>
> 		-- Allen

If here is Allen, I don't recall it, so I suspect you'll have to design
that wheel from whole cloth.  We do have a 'find', but its stack space
for directory recursion is limited. No clue if that is something my vfy
could fix or not as I haven't tried it.  My bad, no biscuit. :(

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)