[Coco] OS-9 startup file question

Stephen Pereira spereira1952 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 11 20:19:25 EST 2015

Wow.  Thank you *very* much, Bill, for your response!

I just did a reset, and then I issued a date -t command right away, and again about 30 seconds later, and then again about 30 more seconds later.

The system returned an inaccurate date and time for the first two attempts, and then on the third try, voila! back came the proper date and time.

I started out by indicating that I was making my way through the Rainbow Guide to OS-9.  I figured that there would be differences between what I was reading and reality in NitrOS-9, but this seemed to be pretty simple and straightforward, so I asked the question.

Yes, indeed, as we have conversed before, I am using Drivewire 4 on my CoCo 3, and I am using a proper distro .DSK image of NitrOS-9.

Thanks a million for clearing this up for me.  I greatly appreciate all the assistance that I get from everyone on this list.  I am glad to get to the bottom of this mystery!

smp
--
Stephen M. Pereira
Bedford, NH  03110

> On Jan 11, 2015, at 8:04 PM, Bill Pierce via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>

> Stephen P., first, pay no attention to the "shellplus" person behind the curtain... What he is talking about has nothing to do with your problem.
> 2nd, if you are booting from drivewire... "setting" the time is useless. It will be reset in a few seconds by drivewire as dw4 updates the time automatically and the time (as far as I know) can not be "set" except from the server's PC time function. DW4 gets its tme from the server and updates every so often to keep the time correct. The method on the dw distro disks is best.
> If you are using the (old) standard "software" clock, then setting the time is important. To set the clock on an OS9 level 2 system use:
> setime </1
> This will prompt you to enter the time. What everyone is forgetting with their other solutions is that this is being run from the startup and not the cmd line. At this point, the shell itself is just being loaded, no terminal has actually been established, and shell has not taken over as the shell that startup is running under is temporary and disappears when startup ends leaving the real shell to start. Most "redirects" and pipes are going off into the bit bucket as anything changed in the startup usually (such as default dirs) does not keep after the startup ends (and the new shell takes over).
> The method above requests the time input from the current user input.
>

> Bill Pierce
> "Today is a good day... I woke up" - Ritchie Havens

> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

<…snip…>