[Coco] OS-9 startup file question

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jan 11 19:44:45 EST 2015

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 05:52:45 PM Stephen Pereira did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Thanks very much for your response!
>
> Of course, I don’t understand this at all…  I thought I understood the
> pipe command that I typed, but this form is completely foreign to me.
>  Where do I go to learn how to do pipes in NitrOS-9?
>
> Thanks again!
>
> smp
> --
> Stephen M. Pereira
> Bedford, NH  03110
> KB1SXE

That example is not a pipe command, it was an i/o redirection, in this
case, since setime expects to get its data, and report its success, to
the /term it was  started in.  But when invoked in a script, then stdin.
stdout and stderr need to be redirected to/from the term. Stdin is the <,
stdout is the first > and stderr is >>.  No pipes involved.

> > On Jan 11, 2015, at 5:48 PM, K. Pruitt <pruittk at roadrunner.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > setime <>>>/term
> >
> > is the format you want.
> >
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Pereira"
> > <spereira1952 at comcast.net> To: "CoCoList for Color Computer
> > Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com> Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2015
> > 2:39 PM
> > Subject: [Coco] OS-9 startup file question
> >
> >> So, here I am, making my way through The Rainbow Guide to OS-9, and
> >> I decided to play a bit with my startup file.
> >>
> >> On the NitrOS-9 boot disk that I am using, the startup file ends
> >> with the command: date -t
> >>
> >> I decided to change the command to: setime < /term
> >>
> >> so I can automatically remind myself to put in the date and time
> >> when the system boots up.
> >>
> >> My “problem” is that this does not seem to work.  When I do a cold
> >> boot, or when I do a reset, the startup file goes through
> >> everything it used to, but then it does not prompt me to make the
> >> date and time entry.
> >>
> >> This is my very first foray into NitrOS-9, so, please be gentle!
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance!
> >>
> >> smp
> >> --
> >> Stephen M. Pereira