[Coco] The COCO vs The Apple II

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Sun Jan 11 17:08:37 EST 2015

Honestly, the Atari 800 was a brilliant machine and should have dominated
the market. Atari made several mistakes along the way (not properly
documenting the architecture in the early years, not advertising
effectively, etc.), though, not the least of which was being unable to
compete effectively on price before it was too late.

One thing I'd like to reiterate too is that one of the advantages the
Commodore 64 had over other 8-bits was that it always came with 64K,
meaning developers always had the same spec to target from 1982 to the
early 90s. Other platforms ranged from 4K - 16K as their bases, which often
meant that the lower specs were targeted in place of the upper specs in
order to maximize the potential audience (and certainly with the Atari
8-bit example, that meant 16K rather than 48K). This placed obvious limits
on the software. Certainly the CoCo was not immune to this, and even with
the CoCo 3, certain software ended up being held back by targeting older
specs.

The only platform where memory concerns were less of an issue was the Apple
II series, as its users moved relatively quickly from 16K to 48K, then 64K
and even 128K, with little effect on sales. That's not necessarily as
surprising, though, because as was discussed, we're talking a higher ticket
item and a more affluent target market, which translated to upgrades when
available. Of course, 48K was still where the mass of software ended up
targeting, so it was not a total success in that regard.

-Bill

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.
<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books
<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1> and