[Coco] Replacement 360K floppy drives?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sun Jan 11 04:21:24 EST 2015

> On Jan 11, 2015, at 1:37 AM, Nick Marentes <nickma2 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Personally, I think you're wasting your time. Even after you clean the heads, it won't take very long and they'll be I/O error'ing again.

All I care about is getting as much of my old data preserved as possible. I've found letters I wrote to my mom (no deceased) and plenty of other stuff from my past. I'm down to maybe two dozen out of a few hundred disks that have errors on them, so I got quite lucky.

> One hint, if you put a floppy in the drive and you hear a squelling noise... take it out immediately. That's the surface of the old media acting like sandpaper on your heads.

Good to know. Some of the bad ones probably are making the noise you are describing :)

> Drivewire and SDC, I won't touch anything else.

Just gotta get the data the first.

Sad thing is, after four all nighters of copying disk images, I pop the SD card in my Mac to back it up and it's like 99MB. Ha. Hundreds of floppy disks that all fit on a tiny card with room to space. Wild.

		-- A