[Coco] CocoSDC + floppy drives

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Fri Jan 9 01:28:34 EST 2015

Hi Darren!
I have finally been able to get back to testing my floppy drives with my CoCoSDC and when I issue the "DRIVE 0,OFF" command in SDC-DOS, I can access my floppy drive 0 beautifully.  I was taking a directory of a blank 80 track DSDD NitrOS-9 3.5" floppy so the directory listing was colorful, but I got the results I expected to see.  I will of course be testing with a real DECB 35 track DSDD floppies soon to verify the save and load functions are working, but with these results so far I feel my floppy drives are online now.  I tried all three of my 3.5" floppy drives with the appropriate command for each drive and I received the expected results on all three drives.  Whoo-Hoo!  Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions!

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc.rr.com

A new SDC Driver and Boot Module were uploaded to the NitrOS-9 repository a couple of weeks ago. The nightly build disk images have not yet been updated to include these changes.

The Init routine in the new driver now scans the MPI slots looking for a
*real* floppy controller. If it finds one then it makes that the active slot so that /d0,  /d1, etc will access real floppy drives.

The slot containing the CoCo SDC is now activated only during I/O calls for
/sd0 or /sd1.

- Darren