[Coco] CoCo2 PAL version service manual

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jan 8 16:03:13 EST 2015

On Thursday, January 08, 2015 12:32:16 PM Daniel Campos did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Hi Gene,

> > But the scope is first, because without it, you are so blind that
> > the soldering iron might as well be left unplugged.
> >
> > Please don't take this as a rant Daniel, but as friendly advice from
> > someone who really has been there and done a lot of "that". Nearly
> > 70 years worth of BTDT. Tested and passed for certificates (A
> > C.E.T.) and licenses (FCC 1st Phone) along the way. Bought a few
> > T-Shirts along the way too. ;-)
>
> Yes, a scope is a formidable tool for a hobbyist, but I always left it
> aside for other concerns. In fact I also need to acquire a temperature
> regulated solder iron and one of those Hako desoldering guns, those
> are impressive!

And about 1% as dependable as an old, original, change the tip to change
the temperature.  I bought, 2 years ago one of the look a likes from an
outfit in Lincoln NE for a hair under 2 bills.  The soldering iron driver
circuitry on the main board dies last summer, Its about 6 months out of
warranty and when I called them, it was "just go buy another, we don't
support beyond the stated warranty"  I will, because its as handy as
bottled beer, but you can bet the farm it will not be from them.

When I discovered the iron was dead, I went rummaging thru my midden heap
and came up with that old weller, made in about 1960, plugged it in a it
worked just like new, but its been 30K miles following me around over the
last 60 years, looking like I drug it behind my wheels every inch of the
way.  They,now part of the Cooper Tool Group, do NOT make them like that
anymore.  I would estimate it has north of 50,000 hours on its heater
element.  Now, in the current version they sell, you keep 2 of them on
the shelf for a years 8 hour a day service.

The brand name on the failed one is X-Tronic, a model 4040.  Bad dog, no
repeat biscuit, or a buy recommendation from me.

> > Cheers Daniel, Gene Heskett
> > --
>
> Regards,
> Daniel