[Coco] Poor drive... (ebay auction)

Mike Craig mdcmike at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 8 11:53:09 EST 2015

Bill Pierce via Coco <coco at ...> writes:

> Mike, the problem isn't mud, but corrosion. The local (and area)
rivers were massively flooded out of
> bounds, 4 major NC dams were released in fear of collapsing and one
did collapse. The rivers absorbed
> literally thousands of hog, chicken and turkey farms along with their
"waste" ponds not even including
> the industries along the river that were flooded. Needless to say,
this made the river water highly
> acidic. The building where my Cocos were was almost 3 1/2 feet deep in
water. The high water marks are still
> on the walls today, left as a reminder. Our well water systems were
affected as well. We had to wait months
> afterward before we could even use our own well water, even to wash
dishes. Needless to say, the high
> acidity content of the water corroded everything it touched. I have
one 5.25 drive that looks like a ball of
> corrosion. You can barely make out what it actually is. The Coco 3
motherboard is wasted. There may be a few
> "usable" parts on it, but very few. Ironicaly, the GIME and the 512k
upgrade look almost untouched even
> though the sockets they are plugged into are corroded. I'll probably
check them out sometime when I get
> another Coco 3 to use as a test unit. I wouldn't plug these into my
current system in fear of blowing
> something on the board.
> There could possibly be some cleaning done, but for the most part,
most of it is lost. Anything metal
> (including pins on the chips) is covered in corrosion. This is not
just surface corrosion, but the kind of
> corrosion that is slowly eating through the metal over time.
>
> Bill Pierce

Yikes! Sorry to hear that Bill. I hope the Gime & 512k upgrade still
work for ya.