[Coco] Poor drive... (ebay auction)

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 22:22:18 EST 2015

Mike, the problem isn't mud, but corrosion. The local (and area) rivers were massively flooded out of bounds, 4 major NC dams were released in fear of collapsing and one did collapse. The rivers absorbed literally thousands of hog, chicken and turkey farms along with their "waste" ponds not even including the industries along the river that were flooded. Needless to say, this made the river water highly acidic. The building where my Cocos were was almost 3 1/2 feet deep in water. The high water marks are still on the walls today, left as a reminder. Our well water systems were affected as well. We had to wait months afterward before we could even use our own well water, even to wash dishes. Needless to say, the high acidity content of the water corroded everything it touched. I have one 5.25 drive that looks like a ball of corrosion. You can barely make out what it actually is. The Coco 3 motherboard is wasted. There may be a few "usable" parts on it, but very few. Ironicaly, the GIME and the 512k upgrade look almost untouched even though the sockets they are plugged into are corroded. I'll probably check them out sometime when I get another Coco 3 to use as a test unit. I wouldn't plug these into my current system in fear of blowing something on the board.
There could possibly be some cleaning done, but for the most part, most of it is lost. Anything metal (including pins on the chips) is covered in corrosion. This is not just surface corrosion, but the kind of corrosion that is slowly eating through the metal over time.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com