[Coco] [COCO] CoCoSDC & Real Floppy Drive SIDE2

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 01:37:57 EST 2015

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would share this nice tidbit here.

I was doing some playing around, because someone was wondering how to
do it, to get access to the second side of a real floppy drive when
using SDCDOS.

Well the standard disk basic pokes to set the drive select and head
select still work.
The problem really isn't a problem, but people need to remember to do a:
DRIVE 2,OFF
or
DRIVE 3,OFF

Otherwise DRIVE 2 and DRIVE 3 by default try to connect to a DW server
connected to the bitbanger port.

So basic example would be if you wanted to access the back side of
real floppy drive 0 you would need to do the following:
POKE&HD89F,&H41
DRIVE 2,OFF

Then you could do a:
DIR 2

and you would get the directory off of the back side of the real
floppy disk in drive 0.  Now remember I am actually talking about the
REAL disk controller and not the CoCoSDC at this point.

Now if you lets say wanted the back side of drive 1 like the old days
where DRIVE 4 was the back side of the real drive 1.  So you would do
this:
POKE&HD8A0,&H42
DRIVE 4,OFF

and then you should have access to the back side of the real floppy
disk in drive 1. So if you did a:
DIR 4

you should see a directory listed of that disk.

I hope this helps anyone out there that might have been wondering how
to access the back side of the REAL floppy drives when using the
SDCDOS.

Have fun all :D