[Coco] Tandy Electronics??!!

davidlinsley at gmail.com davidlinsley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 10:38:05 EST 2015

Thanks Allen, it will be interesting to see what history you can get divulged.

I only moved to the USA from the UK in 2002, and just recall a couple of very small Tandy stores in my area around 84-90, but then the Currys chain (part of Dixons) started moving to the new out of town locations that were becoming really popular and Tandy expanded into some of these locations - including in my town. This store was much bigger than the other locations, and much bigger than most RS locations I've seen here.

However iirc they were no longer selling computers at all by this stage. In 85 they were selling the Coco2 but the 3 never made it to the UK except by some users importing it themselves. Not that I ever knew someone who had a Coco (Dragon users would still pop up at school a good 3 years after Dragon Data went bankrupt in mid 84). I think it was the Currys store that was selling the Commodore 64c and Amstrad machines and not Tandy. Instead I recall them selling *alot* of intercom systems, Memorex tapes, Realistic speakers and The Battery Club. And everything was always on sale. It was a standing joke that the regular price didn't exist.

Cheers,

David.