[Coco] Farewell CoColist

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 28 14:23:56 EST 2015

This is the old parent-children analogy..  The parent seeks their young kids input on what they want for dinner.  But they can't seem to work out together what they want and instead proceed to start bickering and fighting about it.  Meanwhile, they haven't noticed that the parent, disappointed with their behavior, has decided to ignore them and go to prepare what the parent wants instead.

While I wasn’t involved much with the CoCo 4 discussions or with the "MPI redesign/replacement", they all remind me of this dilemma. I myself recently made a benign comment in regards to my personal opinion about pricing of some products in general that inclined me to develop my own version, which works perfectly by the way.  However, my opinion caused a very well known and long-time CoCo developer/contributor to get pissy making statements that my board has problems and that it's no good because, unlike his, it meets all the spiffy technical industry standards and yada yada ya.  Who cares!?  We are here to HELP each other and learn different ways of doing things.. not just force our own ideas and opinions on others. By the way, I can't keep those boards on hand anymore as people not just using CoCo's but also other vintage systems are asking for them and showering me with their gratitude.

My latest 'project discussion' on this list was concerning a 256K EEPROM Pak for the CoCo.  There were some good ideas about the possibility to make it writable from the CoCo.  I expressed my lack of knowledge at this time on how to make that happen.  I had hoped, since I know for a fact there are those on this list that DO know how to do that, that someone would offer up some useful assistance.  No luck there.  This is the main reason I've been quiet on this list lately, because I've been working on this project and others and have had to see help elsewhere.  For a long time this list has been my sole connection to the CoCo community, now it is just a very small part.  I do enjoy keeping small tools in my toolbox for getting help and helping others, which is what this list is to me.  However, when my tools become rusty or ugly I tend not to use them.

I feel for Nick, and I can relate to the dilemma he and others face.  These are problems I can see no perfect solution for.  My philosophy on problem solving is a simple 2 stage one: 1) Fix the problem, 2) If #1 is not possible separate yourself from the problem.   Anything else, which is tantamount to living with the problem, is unacceptable.  My hope here is that people will come together and 'polish' this list up.  I believe the optimum mindset for doing that involves everyone going out of their way to HELP people wherever they can, ALWAYS be respectful of other's opinions, and NEVER put down someone else's ideas or work just because it doesn't fit neatly in your little box of rules and goals.  I wish everyone here luck and good will in all your life's endeavors and don't EVER let anyone discourage you from doing something.  You know what you want and with their help or not you can figure it out and take pride in your success when the goal is met.  For every person out there that will give you crap about it, there will be 10 that will be show their gratitude for your hard work.

Farwell my friends!

- Chad H
http://sites.google.com/site/cbhlab101/