[Coco] Multipak redesign/replacement

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Feb 24 23:38:31 EST 2015

On Tuesday 24 February 2015 23:23:54 RETRO Innovations wrote:
> On 2/24/2015 9:33 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I can't speak to his product offering, but I am not prepared to create
> > something that causes people issues.  I appreciate that certain lengths
> > or specific brands of flat cable might do OK on 1.77MHz signals, but
> > such cable is not designed for such speeds and should not be used for
> > such speeds.
> >
> > Jim
> > Au contaire;
> >
> > Transmission line class 101 is in session:
>
> <snip>
> While I appreciate the trip down to my EE class memories, you're
> responding to a specific use case with general information.

Because the general information gives what it takes to make it work on Joe
Sixpacks desk. Now, since you are an EE, guess what I am?

> You should read the above as:
>
> ...such cable is not designed for such speeds [in the configuration Bob
> Rosen used] and should not be used...

I  suspect that Bob did NOT have an MPI on the far end of that cable, which
IMO would have exacerbated the problems to the point it didn't work all that
well. A Y socket for 2 packs may have worked for all I know.

> I understand SCSI, but the SCSI flat cable spec puts a ground on every
> other line, and uses terminators as you note.  Neither are present on
> Bob's cable, to my knowledge.  If they are, my apologies.

I have no first hand knowledge of his cable, so I can't comment from any
authoritative point.

> Jim

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)