[Coco] PopStar Pilot blog offline

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optonline.net
Tue Feb 24 12:53:33 EST 2015

I actually didn't have a hand in that product.

I had left Zebra for a year to go back to work selling Corvus Networks.

The plan for the Car Sign Designer was to try to anticipate a fad. Stewart
wanted to make every possible version, and get them all out at the same
time. He wanted to sell them to the bookstores. And was afraid if he
released each platform as it was ready, someone else would do versions for
the platforms not yet written for.

Zebra called the development of that software, "The Super Project." and I
was not allowed to know anything about it. Basically, by the time all the
versions were done, the "Baby on Board" fad had passed. he had sunk over
$40k in developing the software, writing the manuals, designing and printing
the boxes, sign holders and suction cups as well as buying cases of the
yellow paper in 100 sheet packs. He never got that back.

I don't have copies of all the versions, but I think I have the PC, Coco,
and Commodore disks. I don't have the Apple ][ version. I'm on the lookout
for one. I only have the PC and Commodore manuals too. I'm looking for the
others. I have every remaining car sign holder and suction cup in boxes in
my storage room. I tried listing the IBM and Commodore versions on eBay, and
nobody bought them. I blew money I didn't have at Staples making copies of
the manuals I had.

I wish they had listened to me, and instead had written the Zebra Writer
software for the Coco. I think that would have been a top seller and a
classic program today.

Stewart was not very enthusiastic about the Greeting Card Designer. The day
the software was complete, and I was about to sit down and write the manual
so we could ship it out, he wanted to cancel it. I convinced him that it
would sell well (knowing that Print Shop and it's clones were big sellers,
and Coco people would jump on something like it.) Zebra ended up living off
of the Greeting Card Designer, and the later Coco Graphics Designer programs
as the rest of the business wound down.

Silly decisions at Zebra carried on here and there. When we sold the Timex
Portugal Disk system here in the U.S., I tried to talk Stewart out of using
the Amdek 3" drives, and just use regular 5.25" drives or even 3.5" drives.
He went with the 3" drives, and the high price as well as scarcity of media
really cut down the sales of the system.

Stewart wanted to develop a cartridge for the Coco that would enhance it by
adding a precision mouse and better sound (Stewarts first micro computer
product was the Music Box which the Orch-80 was a lower cost clone of.)
called the Turbo Port. But, the failure of the Car Sign Designer basically
put an end to it.

We had also developed a lower-cost Parallel to Serial converter for the Coco
which worked fine in prototype, but the production boards never worked.
Scrapped every one of them.

So, when people on the list are talking about adding better sound and a true
serial port to the Coco, I just shake my head and think of what could have
been a great product from Zebra if only we had zigged instead of zagged.

-[ Al ]-