[Coco] Multipak redesign/replacement

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat Feb 21 21:16:47 EST 2015

While I can't help with the design or such, I would be willing to help
test any resulting system, if needed.

That said, what I would like to see for a new MPI would be something
more akin to the few "backplane" systems that were available back in the
day in the pages of the Rainbow and elsewhere (alas, I was a kid, and
such a backplane was out of the question to my parents). I would,
though, change things up slightly.

Instead of orienting the paks vertically, as in a standard MPI, I would
rather that they were oriented on their sides; think of the current MPI,
with the paks vertical, then rotate the packs 90 degrees clockwise, edge
connector toward the cartridge slot.

There would have to be some kind of vertical interface plane for the
slot connectors; probably all the needed electronics could be fit on a
2-sided board (heck, maybe on one side using SMT components). There
would have to be some kind of extra mechanical support or such for the
vertical board, but I think it would be doable. An alternative
arrangement might be to have the same orientation, but the edge
connectors facing toward the rear of the CoCo (label sides of the paks
to the front).

The nice thing about such an arrangement would be that you wouldn't have
tall packs sticking up so far (like the original RS-232 pak - or the
older floppy drive controllers); in fact, since all paks are the same
width, that's the maximum height they would be above the level of the
CoCo. If a cable connection is doable with such an arrangement, all the
better.

Finally - a potential thing to do might be to put a microcontroller (or
something) on each end to buffer the I/O lines and translate the signals
to high-speed serial (maybe USB?) - so that a thinner (and longer) cable
between the CoCo and new MPI could be used (though I realize that such a
solution likely has major pitfalls of its own).

--
Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona