[Coco] [OT] Rainbow on disk RAID

John Guin johnguin at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 17 23:21:34 EST 2015

Boinc is the Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing  http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

It's the replacement for SETI at Home.  Basically, you install a screensaver type of app that kicks in and runs some analytic task in the background and uploads results every half hour or so.

My thinking was have it try restoring corrupted disks one bit at a time until it hit on a format that was valid.  I think the code to read the disk could be stripped out of MESS/VCC/XROAR or whatever and flipping bits in the dsk would be trivial.  You could even come up with a harness to just feed the bits directly to the Coco ROM to speed things up.

Anyway, the challenge would be knowing what was correct, and not just valid.  One case of many would be this:
Imagine a < character was corrupt on the disk (or BNE for you ML types)
The fuzzer subs in a > (or BLS)
The disk is now valid, and can be read
But the behavior would not be correct

Checksums would help, but I have no memory of what would be available, if anything, at this point.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.