[Coco] mess newbie

Robert Hermanek rhermanek at centurytel.net
Thu Feb 12 15:18:59 EST 2015

The old Keil emulator, which was always my favorite back in the day,
doesn't work on modern Windows... it seems VCC is also problematic. MESS
still seems supported, but I've never used it.  What are the most basic
first steps for a windows user?

1) download latest MESS from mess.org and unzip into \mess
2) what files/roms/etc do I need to have present?  In a subdirectory?
3) what commandline to start mess.exe and launch a coco3 emulator?

I'll start sifting through online docs, but thought if there are a few
very easy first steps to get a basic coco3 up and running, I'd be
interested in knowing.  Or is MESS not the way people are leaning these
days?

Thanks
-RobertH