[Coco] Restuffing a CoCo chassis

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Thu Feb 12 14:00:05 EST 2015

> On Feb 12, 2015, at 10:49 AM, Didier Derny <didier at aida.org> wrote:
>
> It should not be difficut to do with an avr + http://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/breakout-boards (check usb host shield)
>
> I'm doing the reverse :)

I have used a Teensy 2.0 ($18-ish) to read hardware buttons and emit USB keyboard sequences to a desktop computer. These are commonly used for home arcade controls. I was using it to read a USB arcade joystick and send out iCade keypresses to my iPad with the Apple USB dongle. I had another mode where it remapped the device to MAME emulator keyboard keys.

You can find an Arduino Leonardo clone for around $11 (I use a dealer in Missouri, who ships fast and free). It can act like a keyboard/mouse to a PC, so you would just need to read the CoCo keyboard switches.

Thus, for $11 and some connection hardware, you would make that CoCo keyboard usable on a PC.

		-- Allen