[Coco] DW and 6551

Mark Marlette mmarlette at frontiernet.net
Wed Feb 11 10:17:21 EST 2015

Joe,

The real question in my mind is the effective baud rate. The 6551 has a one or two byte buffer. Back in the 300 baud days, that was ok.

Today the Wiznet chips have 16k-128K TX/RX buffers. Not all transactions of course require that amount of buffer space but you can see that there are a lot of system calls to service the data stream which cuts your baud rate down. So even if you are running at 115.2k baud the effective rate is much less do to the system overhead to service the data stream, thus putting a high burden on the CPU.

Just to handle the response query from a server to indicate your current IP is ~265 bytes. Not a big deal, but considering all you are trying to find out is a string with a max length of 15, you can see the additional overhead.

Throw in no flow control and it is a recipe for a disaster, IMHO.

I haven't done it yet and don't think it is a big deal to do but I will have a 6551 emulator in the Xmega on my USB COM port. Tying the CPLD, Xmega and the USB all together to think it is a 6551 running over a megabaud with flow control and huge buffers.

Regards,

Mark Marlette
http://www.cloud9tech.com
mark at cloud9tech.com