[Coco] Serial to Ethernet

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Tue Feb 10 22:04:15 EST 2015

Chris — nicely done. That’s exactly the concept.

Arduino’s Ethernet library has a bug that I patched (not sure if it’s been fixed officially) with how it handles multiple connections, but with that done, we could even handle four incoming telnets, and multiplex them the way DW does. That page on my site is the #1 most viewed page (though that usually only means 50-150 per day) but almost no one ever comments on it so maybe they don’t like my solution and they leave irked ;-)

By the way, I have a fairly complete telnet server implementation that handles all the HAS/HAS NOT/ARE YOU THERE/etc.

http://subethasoftware.com/2013/04/15/sub-etha-softwares-arduino-telnet-server/ <http://subethasoftware.com/2013/04/15/sub-etha-softwares-arduino-telnet-server/>

It has extensive debugging support that can be compiled out — it will print all the codes like [ECHO] and [TRANSMIT-BINARY] and really helps understand this ancient protocol. I had a blast digging through RFCs to figure it all out since the servers I found were not even eating the control sequences and thus would inject garbage in to the data stream from time to time.

I just ordered some TTL->RS232 boards to do some testing with on a real CoCo, so maybe I will have something to report/share next week.

		— Allen

> On Feb 10, 2015, at 7:20 PM, Chris Ahrendt <chrisahrendt at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> I actually have a better idea that I floated back about 8 months ago...
>
> Just need the following:
>
> Cart interface.... which I think was being sold on ebay... or even make a Y adapter so you can plug in the disk adapter.  the other side plugs into an arduino (Yun or regular with either a wired ethernet or the wireless adapter.)
>
> Then the following sketch:

Allen Huffman - PO Box 22031 - Clive IA 50325 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
Sub-Etha Software - http://www.subethasoftware.com - Established 1990!
Sent from my MacBook.

P.S. Since 4/15/14, I have earned OVER $600  in Amazon gift cards via Swagbucks! Use my link and I get credit:
http://swagbucks.com/refer/allenhuffman