[Coco] Serial to Ethernet

Mark Marlette mmarlette at frontiernet.net
Tue Feb 10 17:14:09 EST 2015

Joe,

The hardware is simple for these devices today, the software/firmware involves a bit more time. Thus my comment the other day, 1000's of hours.

The Ardunio platform is a awesome platform. All of my development is under the mega2560 hardware. The EthernetShield, like Allen indicated, is the Wiznet W5100 chipset, which is fine for development. My final is the 5200/5300 or the new 5500.

My compiler that I use is call BASCOM, a visual basic type IDE for the AVRs. My final target for the SuperSD/SuperBoard is the Xmega. All the code has cross compile conditionals when it matters. The Xmega is a monster. Current FAT megaread times are 1.7seconds. Boots Nitros, HDB-DOS, etc. Nothing special there, just blazing fast. DS1307 RTC, parallel COM USB port(at CoCos bandwidth transfer speeds) and a ROM emulator that can load cartridges from the SD card before the CoCo even boots, not in FLASH, but read from an SD and places in the cartridge SRAM map. All configurable from an ascii server.cfg file.

Currently I have a configurable server in the cartridge that supports the following protocols:

PHYstatus - Ethernet Link status, No Ethernet if no link is established

DST(Daylight Savings Time) period function
SNTP- (Simple Network Time Protocol) - RFC 868 TIME Protocol on port 37
WhatsMyIPpublic - Client that checks the dynamic IP(checkip.dyndns.org)
NO-IP DNS/IP update client that keeps the NO-IP DNS address automatically current
DNS lookup - DNS to IP lookup from DNS server
SMTP(Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) - Send / receive Emails, supports authentication.

UDP(User Datagram Protocol) - Configurable port monitoring, currently doing AVR port control with Android phone

Currently does all the above in under 4 seconds at powerup then starts to monitor the UDP port for data. Everything is tickbased and scheduled events. For the various functions. For example SNTP is checked at configurable interval from server.cfg file. Currently every 12hrs, RTC is checked against SNTP time server, adjusts if delta is greater than what is read from server.cfg parameter.

WhatsMyIPpublic, all intervals/retires read from server.cfg, gets IP if it has changed it calls the NO-IP server and updates the record. Checks every 10 minutes, if no ip changes, records are updated at interval in .cfg file so that the DNS doesn't expire at NO-IP.

SD card's CD~ line is set to a pin change interrupt which allows disk change detection and FAT init whenever a card is pulled and inserted.

Sure I have missed some other functions as well. Fun stuff!!! Would like to do FTP client but will have to wait on that one ATM. Ping function is another WIP.

Possibilities are endless. All of this in 22K of code, 8% of the chip's flash used.

Regards,

Mark Marlette
http://www.cloud9tech.com
mark at cloud9tech.com