[Coco] Problem w/HDBDos chip

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Feb 8 21:05:03 EST 2015

Bill wrote:
> I have two HDBDos eprom chips that have been working beautifully with
> DriveWire 4.33 for over a year in an FD-501 controller on my dual 3 ½”
> drives. However, with this latest purchase of Coco “stuff”, I received a set
> of dual 5 ¼” drives. I hooked up the controller with the  HDBDos eprom chip
> in it, and it worked great UNTIL I tried to access the physical drives. I
> typed DRIVE OFF (which had been working on this very computer), and all I
> got was NOTHING. The drive light came on, but that was it. And the disk
> worked perfectly with another FD-501 controller with original RS-Dos in it.
>

> Ideas? What more info do you need to hazard a guess?
>

> Thanks

I can't tell from your message if the new drives came with a new controller. If
so, have you tried the new drives with the older FD-501 controller? If that does
not work, there is a problem with the new drives. Look inside the case for
settings and connections. Make sure the system - old and new drives - has a
single resistor block to terminate the cable. Make sure the dip switches in the
new drives correctly indicate what drive numbers you want to assign them.

You may need to remove the new drives from the case and post the brand and model
numbers so that we can tell just what those drives are.

Robert