[Coco] October 1984 issue of Hot Coco Uploaded

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Feb 4 21:07:59 EST 2015

On Wednesday, February 04, 2015 08:09:43 PM Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2015 12:11 PM, "Matthew Dugal" <leobaby at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would like to chime in about scanning dpi. I do a lot of scanning for a
>
> pet project of mine. Since you're doing physical work for archival purposes
> there's no reason not to scan in the highest native dpi of your scanner.
> Later you can just batch resize and possibly sharpen. In just a few years
> when everyone is on 4k monitors of better you will be thankful you did.
>
> I 100% agree, if you are the original scanner then use the highest dpi you
> can.  I was only able to create the Clearscan (tm) ocr version of the
> Rainbow on cococoding.com because the original scans were high dpi.  Things
> like Clearscan likely didn't exist when the original scans were done, and
> better technology may exist in the future, so gather it all as well as you
> can now in hopes that we can improve accessibility in the future even if it
> does nothing for us today.

The only problem with that is the size of the scans.  I have had several pages
that I scanned at 2400 dpi, and found that with only 8Gigs of dram, they were
so big that I had no image editor (I usually se gimp to make .JPG's about 300k
or so) and the resulamt file size was more than I could have in memory at one
time.  even 1200 dpi has puched the limits a time or 4.  I would like to do
600, which is about the least that is usable if you are feeding it to an OCR
program, and even at 600 dpi, tessarect's output needs run thru an editr to fix
its typu's.

No sig, I had a drive die Friday night, and I am just now setting up kmail
again . ^ damned installs later, the partitioner used does all it can to screw
up the sector/sector alignment when the disk is a modern 4k to the sector.

Linux can handle that, but figuring out where in the 4k sector THIS 512 byte
write goes make it run like the drive has been backfilled with STP!

Tomorrow I recompose all my filter to folder rules, some of which is going to
be "fun" in a sadistic way, because this list I had never converted to a
maildir for coco messages, and the coco mailfile is just shy of 6GB!
So once I get dbus talking to kmail again, I will write a script to strip one
message at a time off this near 6GB file and feed it back into the view of kmail
so it will automatically sort it, message by message, back into a coco maildir
format database.  So if I miss a reply because they are all now hitting the
inbox, it likely was missed in the 10,000 messages a day that go thru here.
The first 1000 or so is the linux kernel mailing list, possibly the busiest
list on the planet.
Cheers, Gene