[Coco] Scanning suggestions for Coco material

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Wed Feb 4 05:21:08 EST 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen H. Fischer" <SFischer1 at Mindspring.com>
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Scanning suggestions for Coco material

> Hi,
>
> I think that I suggested you talk to Aaron before.
>
> He reduced the Rainbow scans size by OCRing them using Adobe Acrobat 11. A
> very good job. He also did some pre OCR work.
>
> I also OCRed using Adobe Acrobat 9 and the size reduction was impressive
> if you also reduced the graphics down to what is reasonable for screen
> viewing.
>
> If the text is very small then increasing to 600 DPI might help but please
> understand that perfect OCR requires a huge amount of human work, rarely
> done.
>
> AABBY does do a better job of OCRing but any hands off scanning should be
> to reduce the file size not to allow any and all text copying and pasting.
> Just some.
>
> The "Rainbow text searchable index v1.pdf" allows searching and you have
> better results as the same text appears in several places.
>
> Bottom line, unless you have a huge amount of time, don't try for perfect
> OCR.
>
> SHF

Thank you, Stephen.  Much appreciated.

This first copy is going to go at 200% size, 96 DPI with a couple of 300 dpi
gray pages (which I don't care for).  It's quite readable and the increased
size  (200%) allows you to zoom in on the program listings. No OCR has been
done.  It is not searchable at this point in time.  If it isn't usable for
the majority of the people, I will redo it.  But I'll toss this copy out
there until I can do a better one.

I've uploaded it to incoming folder at the maltedmedia ftp site.