[Coco] Scanning suggestions for Coco material

Tue Feb 3 12:17:56 EST 2015

Hi,

I think that I suggested you talk to Aaron before.

He reduced the Rainbow scans size by OCRing them using Adobe Acrobat 11. A very good job. He also did some pre OCR work.

I also OCRed using Adobe Acrobat 9 and the size reduction was impressive if you also reduced the graphics down to what is reasonable for screen viewing.

If the text is very small then increasing to 600 DPI might help but please understand that perfect OCR requires a huge amount of human work, rarely done.

AABBY does do a better job of OCRing but any hands off scanning should be to reduce the file size not to allow any and all text copying and pasting. Just some.

The "Rainbow text searchable index v1.pdf" allows searching and you have better results as the same text appears in several places.

Bottom line, unless you have a huge amount of time, don't try for perfect OCR.

SHF