[Coco] [COCO] Putting NitrOS-9 boot track in ROM

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 14:21:06 EST 2015

Everyone,

I thought I would write to say how the testing has gone thus far.

So far WD1773, CoCoSDC, EmuDisk, and DW booters all seem to work fine from
ROM.

Now using the os9 utility from the toolshed project I have been creating
volume's and putting a os9boot file on those volumes that match the device
I plan on putting that image on.  Now since I have the boot track's in ROM
for their respective systems I didn't need to put the boot track on the
images.  So I created the image and put the os9boot file on image as
follows:
os9 format -l524280 os9volume.dsk
os9 gen os9volume.dsk -b=os9bootfile

So far I have created these volumes for floppy, EmuDisk, DriveWire, &
CoCoSDC.  So far when the system starts up the boot track in ROM finds the
OS9Boot file as expected.

So far from looking through the boot_scsi.asm and boot_ide.asm will need to
have deblocking support added to them to support native loading the OS9Boot
from the main OS-9 Volume.

Though I do have to say booting from the volume is nice.

There are some limitations I have found putting the boot track in the ROM
though.
If you use the boot track that is ment for 6809 and you try to use OS9Boot
that is designed for 6309 it will not work.  So you have to put the boot
track for your correct CPU setup into ROM.  So if you use 6309 you will
need the 6309 boot track.

I have been doing some testing with os9gen.  Now on a volume, that is setup
as a hard drive, it does not seem to do anything to LSN0. I have done most
of my testing on drivewire as I can watch the read/write access on the
screen.

So these are the tests I have done so far and what I have tested thus far.

|David Ladd|