[Coco] Is there a string library for basic09?

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Mon Feb 2 21:11:42 EST 2015

K. Pruitt wrote:
> I've been thinking that Basic09 has some deficiencies and have narrowed it down
> to incomplete string handling commands - in my opinion.  No Mid string command,
> no Hex string command, etc. But since I am planning on learning C on the Coco,
> and C seems to be THE language in which to implement a string library for
> Basic09, I figure I'll give it a shot.
>
> But I don't want to reinvent the wheel... especially since my wheel is probably
> going to be less than perfectly round at first.  So I have to ask if there is
> already a string library out there for basic09?  I've looked, but there is stuff
> buried in those archives that could be a string library for basic09 and I'd
> never know.
>
> There are a lot of C string libraries out there on the 'net, so porting one to
> the Coco is a real possibility and will probably produce the best results.
>
> Thanks

Well you can mix C and Basic09, but before you go to the trouble you should read
the Basic09 references more carefully. :)

Here is a list of the Basic09 string functions.
ASC, CHR$, DATE$, INKEY, LEFT$, LEN, MID$, RIGHT$, STR$, SUB, TRIM$, VAL, STR.

Note that there are indeed string functions such as MID$. Regards the hex$, it
is not needed as you can easily use PRINT USING to display numbers in hexadecimal.

Robert