[Coco] OS9 Level I - Clock issue?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Dec 28 12:06:28 EST 2015

On Monday 28 December 2015 09:44:10 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:

> If I remember correctly, the stock clocks (both L1 & L2) are not Y2K
> compliant. Is there a chance this may have something to do with it?
> The clocks will not be correct beyond 1999 (IIRC).
That was the fault of some of the hardware clocks we had back then.  But
I think we/I had that fixed by the middle of 1998.  So software clocks
today will not fall over until 2038, and a hardware clock now has 100
added to its output in software before you or the file system sees it.

Unfortunately for the hardware clock, we still run into the overflow and
wrap back to zero in 2038 because the year byte is just that, a byte
whose max value is of course 255 in decimal.

However, the clocks have been taken apart since then to make a universal
clock, and a special to the hardware or software, clock2, since I did
the patching, so I haven't a clue if something got lost in the process.
Does anyone know if the alarm function still works?  It did when I got
done with it.  That of course made it bigger, so however much of that
code survives today, I do not know.  That bit of cutting the clock into
two modules is just one of the many "cut it up into modules for enhanced
versatility" reasons we are out of system ram so fast.  Each time a code
module is divided like that, we lose 32 bytes of system ram to keep
track of it, and SCF.mn is now in 4 pieces, and we've lost at least 2,
256 byte pages of it, mainly from that effect when it is also applied to
RBF.mn too as its incomplete without a 2nd module to address the
hardware diffs.  Both of those main modules really should be built as
one module, using conditional assembly for the individual users
hardware.

As it is, I cannot format a floppy to generate a new boot by the
conventional mb recipes.  The lack of system ram has rather effectively
painted me into a corner, preventing me from doing any major development
work ON MY CoCo3.

I am not happy as you can tell. But it is also readily apparent that my
opinion doesn't count.  Shrug.

> There was a fix for
> this somewhere. I remember having to patch my clock for Y2K. Then I
> started using the emulators and their clock was already patched. I
> just found the patch is on RTSI:
>
> http://ftp://os9archive.rtsi.com/OS9/OS9_6X09/SYSMODS/clock4y2k.lzh
>

> Bill Pierce
> "Charlie stole the handle, and the train it won't stop going, no way
> to slow down!" - Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull

> Global Moderator for TRS-80/Tandy Color Computer Forums
> http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/
>
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)