[Coco] SuperPak Cartridge... coming soon.

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Thu Dec 10 20:16:19 EST 2015

On 12/10/2015 6:52 PM, Nick Marentes wrote:
> On 11/12/2015 10:41 AM, Zippster wrote:
>> I agree $30 is the right target price for a new (single) game cart.
>>
>> A lot would depend on how much the plastic cases end up being.
>>
>> How much space do you think would be needed?  I can see hitting that
>> target price with a simplified PCB with 1 CPLD and a 128k FLASH,
>> depending on the case cost of course.
>>
>> - Ed
>

> Is there a CPLD with at least 64K built in?
>
> Otherwise, I wonder how much for a 27256 eprom and some basic TTL like
> described in the Rainbow mag on how Radio Shack's super multi-packs
> worked?
I can appreciate the academic portion of this.

8MB is overkill, as is all the banking.

Correct.

However, in practical terms, it is a moot point.

TTL is rarely less than $.40/piece in hundreds, and you'll need a few
for any banking effort.  Not seeing the Rainbow art, I could see a '574
to latch the bank, and at least 1 set of 4 NAND gates (and maybe 2) to
feed the right signals into the '574.  That's $1.00 right there, most
likely.

27256 is $1.00, but so is a 8MB ROM.

The PCB costs the same regardless

So, you'll save a buck or two using the discrete logic, but not enough
to reduce the cart cost enough to make it show.

> The plastic cases will be the kicker and I am expecting them to be
> expensive.
I do agree with this.

Jim